Stuff Only I Care About XLI

Weekly Random Thoughts on the Yankees

The Yankees went 4-3 this week, bringing their record to 17-18. They are tied for second place in the AL East and are seven games behind Boston.

Ugh.

But for all the Red Sox fans who are preordering their AL East Champions banners, I'd like to bring your attention to two years ago. On May 10, 1995, the Yankees were 16-19 and seven games out in the AL East. They ended the regular season atop the AL East at 95-67. So there.

On Tuesday, the Yankees start a tough stretch where they play three-game series with the White Sox, Mets, and Red Sox with no days off.

Celebrity Sightings

After reading KittenPie's account of playing with MyHeritage.com's Face Recognition software, I decided to give it a try. You upload a picture of yourself to the site and they tell you what celebrities you look like. Unlike KittenPie, who received no matches, I got nine matches. Here are my results (in increasing resemblance):
  1. Daniela Pestova -- If I looked anything like Daniela Pestova, I would spend my days naked in front of a mirror, fondling myself.
  2. Orlando Bloom -- Ella probably wishes this were true.
  3. Nicolas Cage -- Fifteen years ago, I went to a sorority party. I had ten or twelve people come up to me that evening and tell me I looked like Nicolas Cage. I had never had anyone tell me I looked like Nicolas Cage before that evening. I have not had anyone tell me that since.
  4. Jesse Bradford -- See Orlando Bloom.
  5. Sophia Bush -- I didn't even know this person existed before I did this. I've never seen any of her television shows or movies.
  6. Kyle MacLachlan -- Yeah, I know he's done bigger and better things, but I'll always remember him from The Hidden.
  7. Richard Wright -- Pink Floyd's keyboardist.
  8. Peter Sarsgaard -- Never knew this guy's name. But he's a damn fine actor.
  9. Oscar Wilde -- If only my writing resembled his.
I look nothing like these people.

For Those Too Cheap To Rock, We Salute You

If you are like me and live nowhere near Oklahoma and/or are too cheap to attend Rocklahoma, the three-day music festival featuring Bang Tango, Britny Fox, BulletBoys, Dokken, Enuff Z'nuff, Faster Pussycat, Firehouse, Great White, Jackyl, LA Guns, Vince Neil, Poison, Quite Riot, Ratt, Slaughter, Skid Row, Twisted Sister, Warrant, W.A.S.P., White Lion, Winger, and Y&T, I have some great news: the festival will be broadcast on pay-per-view and VH1.

And that may have been the longest sentence in my site's history.

Leaks

New studio mixes of There Was A Time, The Blues, I.R.S., and Chinese Democracy from Guns N' Roses' upcoming (ha ha ha) Chinese Democracy album were leaked to the web this week. When I first heard the leaks from the first three songs over a year ago, I was unimpressed. But now? Very impressed. There Was A Time sounds amazing now. And the new leak, Chinese Democracy, rocks hard.

Now I only hope this album is released before I have grandchildren.

Good News

Friday Night Lights will be back next year. Now if someone would tell me if Jericho (yeah, I know I'm the only one watching that show) will return, I'd be very happy.

Offsprung

The Lovely Mrs. Davis, Stefan from Zooglobble, several other bloggers, and some dude that wrote a book or two have launched a new parenting site: Offsprung. They're off to a great start so check it out if you haven't already.

Mother's Day Comes Early

Liz of Mom-101 and Cool Mom Picks gave birth to her daughter, Sage Alexandra, on Friday. Go congratulate her!

Mother's Day Comes Late

Last year, I decided to find the coolest mother immortalized in song. I had a lot of fun doing this.

Mother's Day Comes Now

I know most of you are moms and I'd like to wish each and every one of you a happy Mother's Day. And to everyone else, go hug your favorite mom blogger.

Song of the day: Mama Said Knock You Out by LL Cool J