A Fourteen-Year-Old Girl Trapped In The Body Of A Preschooler

There's no nice way to put this, so I'll just come right out and say it: my daughter is a Prima Fucking Donna.

Zoey's a clothes hound. I don't know where she gets it. When I need new clothes, I go Goodwill hunting. Ella, while not nearly as thrifty as I am, doesn't spend an inordinate amount on clothes.

Zoey is obsessed with dresses. And during Christmas break she was able to wear dresses every day because someone was always sick so we didn't really go anywhere (poor Zed is still battling a double-ear infection). But now, even though it's thirty degrees outside, she expects to wear a dress to preschool every morning.

Not happening. Not on my watch. We've tried to compromise by introducing leggings. But there are only a few pairs that she deems worthy to touch her skin.

Yesterday, things came to a head. She wore a dress and a pair of leggings on her first day back at preschool. But the leggings didn't have feet attached to them so she had to wear socks as well. Apparently, this is a fashion no-no as she screamed, "I DON'T LOOK VERY PRETTY!" as we made our way to the car. When she got from school, she begged me to let her take off her leggings. I've been dealing with a major sinus infection and didn't feel like arguing with her all afternoon, so I gave in (I know. Big mistake. I suck.). Later that afternoon, we needed to go to Target. So I told her to put her leggings back on.

And that's when the fireworks started. During her forty-five minute crying/screaming tantrum that landed her in timeout several times, I called Ella and said, "I'm burning all her dresses. Every last one."

I have since come to my senses. I can't just burn something my daughter loves just because she won't do what I want . So instead, I packed them all away and created a Springtime Advent Calendar. Every morning, she gets to mark off a spot on the calendar. And every day, she gets closer to the magical date of April 1st, the day she is allowed to wear dresses once again.

GHS: 8

Song of the day: Supermodel by Jill Sobule