Rock 'N' Roll Lifestyle

I've always loved going to concerts. In my youth, so many moons ago, I would attend three or four shows a month, most at this great little club down the road. This club would book alternative acts on the way up (and some on the way back down). At this venue, I've seen such acts as Nirvana, Oasis, Ice-T, Rancid, Cracker, The Cramps, Sonic Youth, Ben Folds Five, Concrete Blonde, and Susanna Hoffs.

True story: my friends and I were at the club to see a band that we followed regularly. Ms. Hoffs was the opening act at a show at a nearby amphitheater that evening. Apparently, her manager was friends with the manager of the band we had went to see, so she agreed to drop in, totally unannounced, and sing a few songs with the band.

Confession time: ever since I first saw the video for Manic Monday, I've thought Susanna Hoffs was one of the cutest little hotties in music. So when she hit the stage, I pushed my way to the front. She performed two covers: Hazy Shade Of Winter and Feel Like Makin' Love. And I swear to God, the entire time she sung Feel Like Makin' Love, she was staring at me. She was singing that song to me!

Until my dying days, I will always maintain that I could have lured Susanna Hoffs to my bedroom (conveniently located in the basement of my Mom's house) had I not been so shy.

Huh? You don't think so? Perhaps I should've called this site Delusional Dad.

There were also times over the years when I would want to see bigger bands in concert halls, coliseums, or amphitheaters. And I usually had excellent seats. I've had twelfth row (or better) floor seats for Jane's Addiction, David Bowie/Nine Inch Nails, Nine Inch Nails/Marilyn Manson, Guns N' Roses/Faith No More, Prince, They Might Be Giants, and a lot of glam/hard rock bands I'm too ashamed to mention.

Every man's got a weakness or guilty pleasure. Mine is songs about fast cars, faster women, and rock 'n' roll, sung by guys slathered in more makeup than most women wear. Sue me.

The best seats I've ever had at a show? Second row, center stage for Public Enemy. Amazing seats, amazing show.

You may wonder how I managed to get such good seats. I camped out for tickets. Let me slip my Grandpa hat on. Kids today, they've got it easy. They got their fancy cellular phones, their Internet computers. They never have to see a ticket agent! And you know what? That's a shame. There's something fun about camping out overnight in front of a record store or a mall, talking to people with the same musical tastes as you until the sun comes up.

Or perhaps I am was a loser.

Towards the end, I really had it down to a science. I would camp out at ticket outlets at least sixty miles away from the venue. True, I lost out on most of the Rock 'N' Roll Camaraderie I heralded in the previous paragraphs, but I got much better seats.

Well, I'm pleased to announce that after all this time, I'm still able to get good seats to shows. This weekend, I ordered tickets over the phone (I feel like such a poseur).

My seats? Fourth row, center stage.

The show? Dora The Explorer's Pirate Adventure.

Rock on!

Yeah, I can so feel your jealousy.

GHS: 0