On An Island In The Sun

Ok. Mrs. Fortune tagged me with a meme she created. She gave birth just nineteen days ago and is already blogging, reading others' blogs (while rocking her kiddo), and making up her own memes. It sounds like she hit the ground running and hasn't stopped yet. Amazing.

Back to the meme. You're supposed to list which three books, three movies, three CDs, and three people you would want with you if you were stranded on a desert island. Below is my contribution.

BOOKS

I used to read. I used to do a lot of things. But I hate to admit that the only books I've read since the kids have come into my life are those damn What To Expect books. Sad. But here are the three I would have to have with me on that island:

Catcher In The Rye
I know it's cliché. But I have reread this book so many times in my life it's almost scary. I'm not at the Chapman level, but I'm damned close.

Breakfast Of Champions
Catcher is my favorite book, but Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. is my favorite author.

How To Survive On A Desert Island With Just Three Books, Three Movies, Three CDs, And Three Other People
I was going to bring a big book of Sudoku puzzles or a Tom Robbins novel, but I figured this book would better serve my needs.

MOVIES

This is a tough one. I love movies. I tried several years ago to get a movie appreciation/discussion group going with some of my friends, but they're all savages.

Rushmore
Best. Movie. Ever.

Quirky characters. Great dialogue. Awesome soundtrack. What more could you want?

"Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything. But they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it." Words we should all live by.

Rushmore is my Rushmore.

Goodfellas
I love gangster flicks and while there are so many great ones to chose from, Goodfellas is my favorite. "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster." Actually, that's a lie. I always wanted to be a rockstar. But Henry Hill made the thug life look cool as hell.

Jaws
Yeah, I know when you're on a small island completely surrounded by water, the last thing you should be watching is a movie about a killer shark. But I can't help it. Jaws was my Star Wars. It was the flick that made me fall in love with movies. I would proudly wear my Jaws t-shirt everywhere I went when I was six years old. I have the pics to prove it.

MUSIC

Christ. This has to be the hardest question I've ever answered. I'm assuming I can't just take three CDs crammed with mp3s at a substandard 96kbps bitrate. Can I trade in one of my three books for another CD? How about one of my people? If not, I hope my three people can also bring along three CDs each so that Bloodletting (Concrete Blonde), Kerosene Hat (Cracker), Ben Folds Live (Ben Folds), The Downward Spiral (Nine Inch Nails), MTV Unplugged In New York (Nirvana), Wave Of Mutilation: The Best Of The Pixies (Pixies), It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (Public Enemy), Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols (Sex Pistols), and Cereal Killers (Too Much Joy) will also be present on the island.

Destroyer (Kiss)
This album is nowhere near one of my favorites of all time. It's probably not even in my Top 100. But it takes me back to when life was simpler. And that's worth something, right?

This is the first album I ever bought. As a young lad, I was nursed on country music and AM radio. One day, I was at the local drug store and this album was calling to me from the racks. I didn't know who they were or what they sounded like. I only knew I had to have it. I begged my mother to buy it for me. She looked at the cover and was skeptical, but I was relentless so she finally caved.

I went home and put it on my record player. And my life was forever changed.

Appetite For Destruction (Guns N' Roses)
They released this album when I was 17. I remember being blown away the very first time I head it. Axl's voice, Slash's guitar, it was all so raw. It was an amazing record. It became the soundtrack to my senior year in high school.

Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology (Ramones)
Is there a better way to spend your days at the beach than listening to perfect two-minute pop songs? Nope.

PEOPLE

According to Mrs. Fortune's rules, you're not allowed to take your spouse/partner or your kids.

Like I was gonna.

It would be easy to go the intellectual route and invite people like Jesus and Gandhi. But if I'm going to be stuck on an island, I want to have some fun! Everyone would bring celebrities, right? It's just not me, is it?

I thought about bringing John Lydon because he's very opinionated and outspoken. But after five minutes, he would probably call me an asshole and move to the other side of the island.

I thought about bring George W. Bush. But after five minutes, I would probably call him an asshole and move to the other side of the island.

I thought about bringing Crispin Glover. But after five minutes, he would probably become friends with a coconut and forget about me.

I thought about bringing Mike Tyson because I would never tire of hearing him mangle the English language in his high-pitched voice. But eventually he would come to the realization that I was laughing at him and would beat me until I was dead. And that doesn't sound like much fun.

Maybe having celebrities tag along isn't such a good idea. I would get very hungry on the island, so maybe I should bring along a few famous cooks. Maybe Emeril or Rachel Ray or some other people on those food channels that everyone's always talking about.

But that would eventually get pretty boring, hanging out with cooks all day long.

And besides, I think I'd be hungry for something else. So let's invite these three based solely on their sex appeal:

Eva Longoria
Keira Knightley
Jenny McCarthy (it's my meme, I can do what I want)

But even that could eventually get old. Eventually. Like in twenty years or so. So I decided to go with three famous women who are not only attractive but seem intelligent and funny as well:

Marisa Tomei
Sarah Silverman
Tina Fey

And maybe Eva Longoria can lead our rescue party? A guy can dream.

Ok. You can opt out if you like, but I'm tagging the following people: Mrs. Pygmalion (because she loooooves memes and probably wouldn't mind being on a desert island), Paige, Freezio, and both John & Kristen.