Fake Plastic Trees

As of yesterday, Ella and I still hadn't put out our Christmas decorations. We're slack. Did I mention we put out our Halloween decorations on the 28th of October? This is why we don't put out outdoor lights at Christmas. They'd still be up in mid-July.

This year, we decided to let Zoey help with our Christmas tree. Although she was old enough to help last year, we decided to just do it ourselves because we didn't want to deal with the additional headache to surprise her.

Let me let you in on one of my family's dark secrets: we have a plastic Christmas tree.

Can we still be friends?

I just don't see the point in killing a tree each year. Plus, I have a fear of our house burning to the ground so there's no way I'd be able to sleep during the month of December knowing there's a live tree in my house, just waiting for me to blink so it could burst into flames.

Is it bad when you think trees are plotting against you? Yeah? I thought so.

Ella HATES the tree. H-A-T-E-S it. When we first bought it six years ago, she cried all the way home (just a slight exaggeration). And every year since then, she grumbles and mumbles and curses my birth the whole time we put the tree together. Seriously, if she ever wises up and decides to divorce me, the reason on the papers will be "That Damn Plastic Christmas Tree." Ok, maybe it won't be at the top of the list, but it'll be in the top three.

Anyway...

We both have our own duties when it comes to putting the tree together. Ella fluffs out the branches while I put the base together and then I put the branches on the tree. Zoey was my Official Helper. She was so giddy with excitement last night I thought she was going to fly through the ceiling. As she would hand me parts, her smile grew wider and wider until I thought it would swallow her face.

Ever since we've had the tree, it has a tendency to sway or tilt. If a dust bunny settles on it, it will lean over to one side. If the telephone rings, it will lean over to one side. If you look at it... you get the picture. Well, I don't know if it was divine intervention or just the thorough assistance from my Official Helper, but I actually put the base together correctly for the first time ever. Sad, I know. But hey, this tree's ready for an earthquake this year.

Zoey would hand me the branches to put on the tree. Eventually, we caught up to Ella, so I took a break to play with Zed while Zoey helped Ella fluff branches. She got bored with it after about half a branch, which is fine with me, because no Dad wants his daughter to grow up to be a fluffer.

Zoey eventually became bored with the whole process, because we all know the fun part is putting the decorations on the tree. That's what we've got planned for tonight. What's the over/under on how many ornaments she accidentally breaks? Four sound good?

GHS: 0