Here's A Lil Gangsta, Short In Size

I heard some rather disturbing news today, oh boy.

The media has been reporting for some time that gangs are no longer a big-city problem. For years, gangs have been spreading out into suburbia and even some parts of rural America. And every year, gang members start out younger and younger. It's not uncommon to hear of middle schoolers carrying guns (packing heat, strapped, or whatever hip terminology youngsters are using nowadays) to school.

Today, Zoey attended her seventh birthday party (counting her own) since mid-July at that place with the inflatable jumping thingies. One of the moms came up to me halfway through the party and asked, "Do you know Zoey's in a gang?"

Apparently, her daughter, Zoey, and a third little girl have started a gang at school. And their turf is the sandbox, which they don't let anyone else enter. Not only that, they've named their gang as well. The Girl1-Zoey-Girl3 Gang. Not very original, but what do you expect? They're three-year-olds. The most surprising part to me is Zoey didn't fight for top billing.

I've got to tell you, I'm shocked. Zoey doesn't tell me anything about what goes on in preschool. If I'm lucky, I might find out what she had for snack that day. Her motto? What Happens In Preschool, Stays In Preschool.

Now I know why.

I figure Girl3 is the brains of the gang. After all, she nearly incited a riot a few weeks ago. Apparently, she wanted to go outside, only it wasn't time to go outside yet. She made such a huge fuss that soon all the kids were standing at the door, clamoring to go outside. The teacher put her in timeout. Teacher, you can't be hatin' on no gangsta. Unless you want a glue stick upside yo head.

Zoey must be the muscle of the gang. After all, she already knows how to use a bat.

I guess it won't be too long until the Girl1-Zoey-Girl3 Gang all get matching temporary tattoos and black leather backpacks. And then I suppose I'll be called in for a parent-teacher conference because the girls are shaking down the other students for their snacks and Show-and-Tell items.

Homeschooling is looking better and better with each passing day.

GHS: 2