The Most Shocking Thing I Have Ever Seen

When we came home from picking up Zoey from school yesterday, I told her, "I'm going to run upstairs and do the laundry. We'll have snack and do your homework when I get back down. Keep an eye on your brother, please."

So I went upstairs, unloaded the dryer, put a new load in, and put another load in the washing machine. As I was walking down the steps, I heard what no parent ever wants to hear.

Silence.

I ran down the stairs. I could hear faint noises coming the kitchen, so I headed that way. When I got to the doorway, my jaw dropped as I took in the scene in front of me:

Zed was reading a book on the floor. Zoey was doing her homework at the kitchen table.

She had gotten her backpack, pulled out her homework, chosen a pencil, and had started her homework without me.

It won't be much longer until she doesn't need me anymore.

And Then There's The Boy

Any other time, I would've expected to walk into the kitchen to find the contents of all the drawers scattered all over the floor. Sometime during the past two weeks, Zed shed his toddler skin and became a two-year-old boy. He is into everything. He laughs at the childproof locks on the drawers. Why should he play with his maracas when he can grab two containers of sprinkles out of the drawer? They both make the same noise, but one is taboo and therefore much more fun.

He has also entered the "No" phase. While he doesn't say the word, he shakes his head at us when he doesn't want to do something. And even though he knows the sign for "More," he refuses to use it under most circumstances. We'll play a game and he'll want to play it again, but he will refuse to sign "More." Instead, he just gives me this look that says "I'm the boss and I'm cute. You'll give in before I do."

Of course, if it's something he really wants (like another piece of chocolate), he suddenly remembers the sign for "More." Bastard.

Song of the day: The Good Life by Weezer