I Wish They Tasted Like Chicken

Don't you just love it when you're forced to eat your words?

A few months ago, I wrote about parents holding their children back an extra year to better prepare them for kindergarten and how I was against it. I had a parent-teacher conference on Friday to discuss Zoey's progress.

Guess what? They recommended we hold her back a year.

Her teachers told me that she was very intelligent but they do not believe she's mature enough to enter kindergarten this fall. Apparently, she'd rather socialize than do her work. She worries about what everyone else is doing instead of concentrating on the work at hand. She talks entirely too much. They also cite her late birthday (she would be four when she entered kindergarten).

Damn.

We're hedging our bets. I talked to the preschool director and she said they'd hold a spot open for her in next year's pre-K program. We're also registering her for kindergarten.

I'm really torn here. I see my daughter and know what she's capable of. By the same token, her teachers know what children her age should be capable of. We've scheduled several more parent-teacher conferences and requested regular reports on Zoey's progress.

Time will tell.

Edited: Be sure to check out JayMonster's excellent (and much more eloquent) take on the subject.

BTW, I realize this site has been a den of negativity for a week or so. Hopefully, this will be my last woe-is-me post for awhile. You know it's bad when someone's posting proof of her make-a-fratboy-jealous burping skillz to cheer you up. Much appreciated.

Song of the day: Pretty In Pink by The Psychedelic Furs