Holding Back The Years

My daughter will turn five in late August. A few days before that, she will enter kindergarten. Around these parts, that makes her the exception and not the rule.

In my state, children must be five or turn five by mid-October of that school year to enter kindergarten. Despite these guidelines, many parents are holding their children, especially boys, back an additional year if there birthday occurs in June or later.

The other day, I spoke to a mother who has already decided to hold back her child another year. He will be five in May. And she has already decided that nine months from now, he will not be emotionally prepared to enter kindergarten. I wish I had a crystal ball like some of these moms have.

This makes no sense. "But what if he fails? Then he won't move up with all his friends," is the response I often hear. But aren't you already failing to let your child move up with his friends by making him take an additional year of preschool? And wouldn't it be in the best interest of the child to complete two years of kindergarten (or first or second grade), where he's bound to learn more, instead of another year of pre-K?

I just don't understand this line of thinking. I know there are some children that can benefit from an additional year of preschool; they don't listen to authority or are emotionally ill-equipped for the rigors of kindergarten. But I see no reason why many of the children need to be held back an additional year. Hell, why not hold them back until they're eight just to be on the safe side?

What are your thoughts on this?