Help Us Buy A Digital Camera

No, this isn't a post looking for handouts. It's a post asking for advice.

We're still not making too much headway with Zed when it comes to talking. He will echo a lot of words and will say things when prompted, but he seldom says things on his own. Because of this, we're going to give the PECS thing a go until he starts using words on his own. And in order to do so, we need a digital camera.

We have a digital camera but it's an old piece of crap. We bought it before Zoey was born. The picture quality isn't that great and it takes forever for the images to save to the memory card. I think that's because there's a tiny pterodactyl inside the camera that pecks the image information onto the memory card.

So we're looking for a new one. I know a lot of you probably own a digital camera, so I'm looking for any and all recommendations. A few things to keep in mind:

  • I'm cheap (I'd really like to stay under $200, but DEFINITELY under $300).
  • I'd like a good optical zoom (I noticed most of the ones in my price range have a 3x optical zoom).
  • I'd like the images to require as little manipulation as possible. We're planning on taking LOTS of pictures of things in his life, so I don't want to have to spend too much time on the computer changing brightness, sharpness, and all that crap.
  • It does not need to have any video capabilities. We have a camcorder.
  • And oh yeah, I'm cheap.
So if you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments. Thanks!

Song of the day: I Turn My Camera On by Spoon