Stuff Only I Care About XXXVII

Update: Frigid is the Word

That Carolina-Georgetown game was exciting to watch. For a team that was down by twenty points midway through the second half, it's amazing Carolina was able to come back and force an overtime session.

What? Carolina wasn't down by twenty? THEN CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THEY WERE SHOOTING THREE-POINTERS EVERY TIME THEY CAME DOWN THE COURT?

Seriously. The hell? They were doing a great job of taking it to the hoop and drawing fouls (to wit: Carolina was 29 for 34 from the charity stripe). And then they threw the game plan out the window.

I told my neighbor before the game that Carolina's much better at playing from behind than they are at holding a lead. And today's game solidified my point.

In the final nine-and-a-half minutes of the game, Carolina shot 1 for 10 (six of those ten shots were missed three-pointers) from the field which erased their ten-point lead and forced overtime. In the overtime session, Carolina's dismal shooting continued as they went 1 for 14 from the field.

Oh well. A great season came to a sooner than expected end. Now the game begins: who will turn pro? Brandan Wright's gone but I really think (and HOPE) Hansbrough will stick around for another year. He wants that title too badly. I have no idea what Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington are planning on doing. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Weekly Random Thoughts On The Carolina Tar Heels

That game against USC was insane. If you had told me before the game started that Tyler Hansbrough and Ty Lawson would only score nine points COMBINED, I would've expected them to lose by twenty. And they damn near did.

I was chatting with SciFi Dad at halftime. He asked me if I was nervous because UNC was down by nine. I told him, "No. If they're down by 10 with 5 minutes left, then I'll be nervous." That has been Carolina's modus operandi this season: stay close for thirty minutes until they eventually wear down the other team with their ridiculously deep bench (I truly believe their second five could've played .500 ball in the ACC this season).

But as the second half started and USC's lead grew to sixteen, I did become nervous. But then Carolina outscored USC 41-15 over the final seventeen and a half minutes (which included an 18-0 run) and all was right with the world.

On Sunday, Carolina plays a tough Georgetown team. Georgetown will try to slow down the tempo and control the boards, but the Heels will emerge victorious.

A Few More Random Thoughts On College Basketball

Duke's Josh McRoberts is turning pro. Like many of his Duke counterparts this year, McRoberts seemed too soft to play college ball , so I doubt he'll amount to much in the NBA. Just like most of his Duke counterparts.

Why is Jay Bilas working some of the games? Isn't "Duke Boy" ESPN's property? Bilas is very talented and I prefer him to many other sportscasters (see below), but I don't understand why CBS is using him and not one of their own like Gus Johnson.

PLEASE CBS: Do not let Billy Packer call any more Carolina games. I can't stand the glee in his voice when a call goes against the Heels.

Weekly Random Thoughts on the Yankees

Wang's starting the season on the DL. DAMN!

You People In NYC Don't Know How Good You've Got It

Too Much Joy is reuniting for one show on May 4th at The Knitting Factory. I'm hoping if the show sells out, the band will mount a nationwide tour. (Story credit: Bill Childs)

And In Case You Ignored Me Last Weekend

You really need to watch The Riches on FX.

Sunday Morning Hangover

Here are some of the more interesting/entertaining posts I've come across this week:
Song of the day: I Wanna Be Your Man by LA Guns