The Top 100 Albums Of All Time (85-71)

In case you missed it the first time, I'm using the following guidelines Norbizness set for himself:

  • One album per artist.
  • No greatest hits packages, compilations, or boxed sets.
  • No artists that would make me look hip or cool.
  • I must own the LP, CD, or cassette tape of every one of these entries. No mp3s.
And just to make this interesting, I'll give the first person that correctly guesses my favorite album (before it's posted, of course) a $25 Amazon gift certificate. One entry per person, please.

Here are albums 85-71 (the set I'll probably receive the most ridicule about):

85. Pianosaurus Groovy Neighborhood (1987)
I had never heard of these guys until I saw them perform on The Arsenio Hall Show. They were bluesy and folksy, and I instantly fell in love with them.

And all their musical instruments were toys! They had a little toy guitar, a little toy keyboard, and a Fraggle Rock toy drum set. They sang songs about thrift stores, Josie And The Pussycats, and falafels. How could you not fall in love with that?

Actually, all my friends hated this band. But then again, all my friends in high school were ignorant rednecks (like me, only I was slightly less ignorant). If you have never heard of this band, I encourage you to check them out. If nothing else, your little ones should love it!

84. Duran Duran Rio (1982)
It was soooo uncool to be a male Duran Duran fan in middle school. But I know damn well I wasn't the only one wearing a Van Halen t-shirt to school and then rushing home to sing, "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand."

And can anyone tell me what "I smell like I sound" means? Is that supposed to be sexy? Ladies?

83. Boogie Down Productions By All Means Necessary (1988)
On this album, KRS-One boasts about being the greatest MC around. But he was right. He was one of the best MCs around. He was very articulate and intelligent. Favorite track: My Philosophy, of course.

82. XTC Skylarking (1986)
Even if you took away Dear God, this is an amazing album (actually, Dear God was absent from the initial US pressing). But damn, has there ever been an angrier song written than Dear God? I dare you to name one.

81. Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair (1985)
This album featured two of the best songs from the 80s, Everybody Wants To Rule The World and Shout, as well as Mothers Talk (which should have been a big hit) and Head Over Heels (a sappy love song that somehow didn't end up too sappy). I loved the way Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal's voices blended together.

And then they went and threw it all away by trying to out-Beatle The Beatles with Sowing The Seeds Of Love (which critics seemed to love (because critics love The Beatles) but to me, it just sounded like they were trying too hard).

80. The Killers Hot Fuss (Limited Edition) (2005)
This band hails from Las Vegas and it shows. Their music is just like Vegas: flashy, over-the-top, and fun. The Limited Edition version of the album boasts three songs not available on the initial release. All three of these songs (Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll, The Ballad Of Michael Valentine, and Under The Gun) are incredible and make this edition a must-have.

Front man Brandon Flowers claims their next album is one of the best albums of the past twenty years. If the first single, When You Were Young, is any indication, he may very well be right.

79. The Cramps Songs The Lord Taught Us (1980)
Punky rockabilly songs about werewolves, zombies, and other oddities. Do I even need to explain why this one's on the list? This album is a lot of fun and my favorite tracks are Garbageman, TV Set, and, of course, I Was A Teenage Werewolf.

I still have a wine cork Lux Interior spit at me at a very special Valentine's Day show.

78. Twisted Sister Stay Hungry (1984)
I Wanna Rock and We're Not Gonna Take It were important anthems to the fourteen-year-old me. And songs like Captain Howdy, The Beast, and Burn In Hell sounded like a horror movie set to music. There is not a weak song on this album. Seriously. I should've ranked it higher.

To this day, anytime I get anywhere near a drum kit, the first thing I play is the opening to We're Not Gonna Take It (minus the cowbell, of course).

And let's pretend Leader Of The Pack never happend, okay?

77. N.W.A. Straight Outta Compton (1988)
N.W.A. was like a reverse-supergroup. Three of their founding members, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and Eazy-E all went on to have great solo careers.

This is the second best gansta rap album ever. My favorite tracks are: Fuck Tha Police, Straight Outta Compton, Gangsta Gangsta, and Dopeman. But I will hate Express Yourself to my dying days.

76. George Michael Faith (1987)
Go ahead and laugh at me, but this album rocks. Faith is easily one of the best singles of the 80s. And then you've got I Want Your Sex, Father Figure, One More Try, and my personal favorite, Kissing A Fool.

And yeah, I was one of those people who had no idea that he wasn't singing about the opposite sex in I Want Your Sex. I'm an idiot.

75. New York Dolls New York Dolls (1973)
I still cannot believe the man who once sang Personality Crisis is the same guy who sang Hot Hot Hot. That should never have been allowed to happen.

74. Hanoi Rocks Back To Mystery City (1983)
I have just come to the conclusion that I cannot write about music. Dancing about architecture, indeed.

Anyway, all the hair bands should have given one percent of their royalties to Hanoi Rocks. They paved the way and received little acclaim. Favorite song: Ice Cream Summer (which could've been a Springsteen song).

73. Oasis Definitely Maybe (1994)
You can keep your Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova. I'll take Rock 'N' Roll Star, Live Forever, Supersonic, and Cigarettes & Alcohol (my favorite). I got to see them live when they were touring the States to promote this album. Gallagher stood up on stage, hands clenched behind his back the entire time, and never once acknowledged the audience as they played their set. It was cool as hell.

72. Sinead O'Connor I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (1990)
Great album. Of course there's Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U, but there's also I Am Stretched On Your Grave and The Emperor's New Clothes, the coolest lyrics ever written about pregnancy.

I will live by my own policies
I will sleep with a clear conscience
I will sleep in peace

Wish I could say that.

71. Ben Folds Rockin' the Suburbs (2001)
I've never understood why Ben Folds (or Ben Folds Five) isn't H-U-G-E. Ben Folds is an extremely talented lyricist and pianist. He is also one of the angriest artists around. My favorite songs on this album are Carrying Cathy and Zak and Sarah.

If you ever get a chance, try to catch him live. I've seen him many, many times and he always puts on an amazing show.

Read 100-86