The Cynical Dad Xmas 2005 Mix Tape

I love Christmas music. But I've never been too fond of traditional Christmas songs. I find most of them to be too melodramatic and boring. I prefer my Xmas music to have a little more edge to it and often to be offensive and/or bitter. Those of you who might've been bored enough to read my stuff over on DadCentric might've seen the article I wrote about my 2004 Xmas Mix CD. Here's my CD for this year (total running time: 78:01):

SECTION I: THE ATTENTION GRABBER

Like John Cusack's character said in High Fidelity, "The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick it off with a killer, to grab attention."
  1. The Vindictives Nuttin' For Christmas
    A punk version of the classic, the song starts out with the singer singing Happy Birthday to Jesus before delving into a third verse which mentions skinning cats, robbery, crack, anal sex, and gunplay. Now if that doesn't get you in the holiday spirit, you're dead to me.

SECTION II: SONGS ABOUT HEARTBREAK

Christmas, for many, can be a very depressing experience. Many take stock of their lives and failed relationships, and contemplate their future.
  1. The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl Fairytale of New York
    My all-time favorite Christmas song. First, I love Shane MacGowan's voice. Second, how can you not love a Christmas song that deals with drunk tanks, gambling, failed dreams, and a bitter end to a relationship? Isn't that what Christmas is all about?
  2. U2 Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    I was in a Bono mood this year. See song #7 as well.
  3. Ben Folds Lonely Christmas Eve
    This song, written from the Grinch's viewpoint, was recorded for the soundtrack to that God-awful How The Grinch Stole Christmas movie with Jim Carrey.
  4. The Ramones Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight)
    A classic that appears on every one of my compilations. But it's got to be the version that starts off slow.

SECTION III: THE TRUE MEANING OF XMAS

Christmas is a time to help those less fortunate than yourself.
  1. The Kinks Father Christmas
    Have yourself a merry merry Christmas
    Have yourself a good time
    But remember the kids who got nothin'
    While you're drinkin' down your wine
  2. Band Aid Do They Know It's Christmas?
    If for no other reason than to hear Bono croon "Well tonight, thank God it's them instead of you." Did anyone hear the remake they did last year with Coldplay, etc.? Utter crap. Can't believe Bono was involved with the train wreck.
  3. Eugene Edwards Dear Mom and Dad
    This is a very powerful song. If this doesn't make you want to take all your presents back to the store and give your proceeds to charity, you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
  4. Rufus Wainwright Spotlight On Christmas
    You can measure it in blood
    You can measure it in mud
    Let us say for these twelve days
    Put the measuring away
    Cause it's Christmas
  5. Ron Sexsmith Maybe This Christmas
    Despite this song being from the Music From the O.C. Mix 3: Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah soundtrack, it's quite moving and powerful.
  6. John Lennon Happy Christmas (War Is Over)
    Can you tell I've been feeling guilty this Christmas? Time to change gears...

SECTION IV: THE COVER SONGS

I loooooove cover songs.
  1. Cartel Rocking Around The Christmas Tree
    From the opening Beach Boysesque harmonies, this song rocks.
  2. HelloGoodbye Winter Wonderland
    Distorted vocals, cheesy synths & bells, and a liberty with the lyrics make this song one of the better ones I've discovered this year.
  3. Unwritten Law Please Come For Christmas
    Despite it being Unwritten Law (ugh!) covering an Eagles (double ugh!) tune, this song is actually pretty cool.
  4. My Chemical Romance All I Want For Christmas Is You
    My Chemical Romance is one of my guilty little pleasures. As I said in my original article, if I was fourteen, I'm sure My Chemical Romance would be one of my favorite bands.
  5. Luscious Jackson Let It Snow
    I've loved this song ever since I first heard it featured in a GAP commercial. But I've never liked another Luscious Jackson song since. Naked Eye makes my ears bleed.
  6. Jill Sobule Merry Christmas From The Family
    This song always ends up on my mix. Maybe it's because it hits a little too close to home.

SECTION V: ORIGINALS

What's better than covering/ruining classic Christmas tunes? Creating your own for future generations to cover/ruin!
  1. Bunnygrunt Seasons Freaklings
    I had never heard this song until I heard it playing over the end credits to Bad Santa. I fell in love instantly.
  2. Sufjan Stevens Come On! Let's Boogey To The Elf Dance!
    Ella hates this song. She says it sounds like "that cult band." Which means to her ears, it sounds like Polyphonic Spree. This is my favorite Xmas song for 2005.
  3. The Raveonettes The Christmas Song
    Another track from the Music From the O.C. Mix 3: Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah soundtrack. Who knew such a crappy show could spawn such cool Xmas music?
  4. The Waitresses Christmas Wrapping
    Who doesn't like this song?
  5. Ben Folds Bizarre Christmas Incident
    A song about Santa getting stuck in the chimney and dying. The kids will be sure to love this one!
  6. Cracker Merry Christmas Emily
    I have always loved David Lowery, from his early days of Camper Van Beethoven to Cracker. I've probably caught him live (in his various incarnations) at least a dozen times.
  7. South Park Swiss Colony Beef Log
    The only holdover from last year's South Park-heavy mix.
  8. The Vandals Christmas Time For My Penis
    One of the funniest Christmas songs ever.

SECTION VI: THE SENDOFF

Like any good compilation, you've got to end with a bang!
  1. Joey Ramone What A Wonderful World
    Like last year, I end with this song. While not technically a Christmas song, I think it sums up the feelings one experiences during the Christmas season.
There you have it, my overly exhaustive look at a CD I made for myself to enjoy. How narcissistic is that? Do you know any tunes to add to the list that I may not be familiar with? Hook a junkie up, man.

Update: You guys need to check out Because I'm Your Father's Xmas Mix. You can actually listen to his mix. Showoff!