Zoeypalooza 2005 -- Day Two

For day two of Zoeypalooza 2005, we took the kids to the zoo, one of Zoey's favorite places. We started out with the kangaroos. I don't believe these were real kangaroos. Every kangaroo I've ever seen on television is constantly hopping around and always has a baby 'roo popping out of its pouch. Every time we see them at the zoo they're just lying on their sides. If you stare long enough, one might scratch its stomach, but that's as much action as you're going to get from them.

We then went and checked out the polar bears. Actually, the polar bear. It was too hot today for two of the polar bears, so I'm assuming they were behind the rocks in their air-conditioned igloo. The lone polar bear brave enough to bear the heat (I know, bad pun) was lying motionless on the rock.

No one told us it was Sedate The Animals Day at the zoo.

We then went to the underwater observation area and then the fun began. The polar bear climbed off the rock and came to the edge of the water. The crowd in the underwater observation area went crazy, as if they were cheering for a guy on a skyscraper ledge to jump. Finally, after teasing us for about ninety seconds, he dove into the water, delighting the crowd (and most importantly, Zoey).

We then walked down to the seal and sea lion underwater observation area. There were three sea lions and one spotted seal racing by the window, as if they were performing for the crowd. About forty-five seconds later, all four would come racing by the window again. On their third time through, the seal pooped as it went by.

Zoey exclaimed, "Look! He lost one of his spots!"

Should I let it go? But she didn't give me a chance. "Why did his spot fall off, Daddy?"

I thought for a moment. Do I tell her the truth? Ignore her? Make up a lie and save myself the headache of explaining the whole digestive system of a spotted seal? I opted for the truth.

"That wasn't a spot, honey. He pooped in the water."

She scrunched up her nose. "He poops in the water?"

"Yes, honey. You poop in water, too." That comparison either satisfied her or confused her, but nonetheless I didn't receive another question about the seal's lost spot.

I then spent the rest of the day praying we wouldn't happen upon two monkeys having sex. I am so not ready for that conversation.