Don't Answer The Phone!

We were eating dinner tonight when the telephone rang. I got up, checked the Caller ID, and shouted, "Ella! It's Zoey's kindergarten teacher!"

***

Today was Zoey's first day of kindergarten. No tears were shed by either of us this morning as I left her classroom.

When I picked her up this afternoon, I asked her if she enjoyed her first day. Her reply? "It was fun! I didn't learn anything!" See why we have to trick her into learning things?

Like always, Zoey was not forthcoming with details. She told me they drew pictures, played outside, sang songs, read books, and ate lunch in the CAFETERIA (her emphasis). She said she made friends but could not remember anyone's names (she gets that honestly). But the Zoey Seal of Approval came when she stated "I like kindergarten more than preschool."

Cool.

***

"Oh God!" I continued. "The first day of school and she's already in trouble!"

"Answer the phone," Ella replied.

Me: Hello?
Becky: Mr. Holland?
Me: Yes.
Becky: This is Becky, Zoey's kindergarten teacher.
Me: Hi, Becky.
Becky: I'm calling all the parents and letting them know how their child's first day of school went. Zoey had a great day. She is an intelligent and very sweet girl. But…

There was no pause. It just seemed like time stood still when she said that awful word.

Becky: I just had to tell you what Zoey did today. One of the girls in her class started missing her daddy and started to cry. Zoey put her arm around her, made her laugh, and cheered her up.

It's moments like this that make me think I might be doing a halfway decent job at this parenting thing.

Song of the day: Three Strange Days by School Of Fish