Soundtrack

It's been two months since I wrote about music. I was starting to get the shakes, so I decided to steal this meme Wendy from Things In Your Head posted the other week:

What’s your ringtone?
Ha! I'm a cheap bastard. Ringtones cost money. Therefore, I have no ringtones. I rock out on vibrate. Plus, I don't really have a theme song. But I need one! Anyone want to write one for me?

What’s the most incongruous song on your mp3 player?
Once again, I'm a cheap bastard, so I don't own an mp3 player. My musical tastes are all over the place, so the most incongruous song on my computer is probably Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. God, I love that song.

What is the one genre of music you cannot stand?
Gregorian chants? Don't know. I'm really open to all kinds of music.

What’s your desert island disc?
Appetite For Destruction. Or maybe The Wall. If I'm going to be isolated, I might as well bring along some music on the subject manner.

What’s your secret musical weakness?
Bluegrass! Just kidding.

It's hair bands, but if you're a regular reader of this site, it's not really a secret. I proudly wave my spandex and Aqua Net flag.

Do you play a musical instrument?
I played trombone in middle school and played keyboards and sang in bands in high school and college. I can also play a few songs on the harmonica.

Best makeout song ever
For some reason, the term "makeout song" makes me giggle like a middle school kid. Probably because the term makes me think of those middle school parties where the whole point was to makeout all night long.

I imagine Let's Get It On and Sexual Healing are too cliché, so I'm going to go with All I Want Is You by U2. Plus, it was the first dance song at our wedding.

Best driving song
Rockaway Beach by the Ramones.

One song that you think everyone should read the lyrics of
Brick by Ben Folds Five so people will know it's about an abortion. Wicked Game by Chris Isaak so people know it's not a love song.

Oh, that's not what they were going for? Ok, then let's go with What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong.

Is downloading music for free a sin?
No. Only Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed, and Sloth are sins.

Do you karaoke?
Oh yeah! I met Ella in a karaoke bar. But I haven't done karaoke in a few years.

One musician you would happily whore yourself to
This is a tough question. I had my chance with Susana Hoffs. So I'll pick Liz Phair. But you'd probably get a totally different answer if you ask me again five minutes from now.

In fact, you might get a totally different answer for all of these questions if you ask me again five minutes from now.

First album you ever bought
Destroyer by Kiss.

Most recent album you bought
The last album I purchased was The Polyphonic Spree's The Fragile Army. The last song I purchased was Holy Shit by Centralia (damn you Showtime!!!).

Favorite Beatles song
If you count You Never Give Me Your Money / Sun King / Mean Mr. Mustard / Polythene Pam / She Came In Through The Bathroom Window / Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End / Her Majesty, the nine-song masterpiece from Abbey Road as one song, that's the one. If not, I'll go with While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

One song that represents your teenage years
Loser by Beck. Or Creep by Radiohead. You get the picture.

One song that represents your 20s
Army by Ben Folds Five. I've never thought about joining the Army, but the rest of that song is like a narrative for twenty-four months of that decade. Someday, I'll write more about that.

One song that represents where you are right now
Are we talking physically or mentally? What A Wonderful World is still going through my head. Only this time, it's the Joey Ramone version.

One song that represents your blog
This is an easy one! Jenny From The Block by J-Lo.

Song of the day: Beautiful by Christina Aguilera